Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Words, words, words...

I love words. I mean, obviously I love words. I am an English teacher, after all. And a writer. And an avid lover of fiction. Oh, and a talker. Major talker here.

Words can be beautiful. They can create pictures from nothing, really. Just letters combined in the perfect order, placed in the perfect sentence. And then - life! Colour! Beauty. In fiction, we see entire worlds created through words. People, who existed only in the writer's mind, are brought to life. They become real to the readers - so real that, at times, we weep for these word-made creations.

Words can be used to inspire, too - and not only in fiction. "I have a dream," announced Martin Luther King Jr - and, with their very feelings given those eloquent, powerful words, a generation of movers rose up and took action. His words were simple on their own, but perfect when combined.

Words, of course, can also be deadly. Ninja words, I like to call them. Stealthy, those ones.  They sneak up on you, dressed in night, and spring out before you even have a moment to think.  Causing all sorts of destruction and injury and metaphorical dismemberment. By the time you realize what's happening, you can call them back, but those ninjas have done their damage. Or your damage, to be more honest. My damage.

Anyway, words and I have a love/hate relationship. :) So here's a question for you: What are some of your favourite words?

No comments:

Post a Comment