Monday, August 24, 2015

A Long Overdue Update: Books and Babies

It's been quiet around this blog-space. I know, because it's my blog-space and I have not written anything in the last several months. I figure it's time for an update. Much has happened since the last entry. Here are the top three, in no particular order:


1) I signed a book contract 

The YA spec fic novel I'd submitted to a small independent press in the US was accepted and they offered me a contract. It's exactly what I've been working towards with this book, so I'm ecstatic!  I'll have more details as we get closer to the publication date, but it's been a pretty great process so far. After carefully reading the contract - which turned out to be excellent, by the way - I had the thrill of signing it. I'm looking forward to seeing my baby published. 

The editorial portion of the process has been a learning experience. The novel had already been professionally edited and beta-read prior to submission, of course, but now, as the publisher readies my book for publication, I receive notice of areas I need to rework or revise. To be honest, sometimes I want to resist. After all, going back to a piece that has already been edited and rewritten so many times can be frustrating. It helps when I remind myself that the publisher is looking out for my best interest. After all, I'm not paying for their services - like all trad presses, big and small, they will require my book to actually sell in order for them to make anything on it. It's their name and reputation as well - It will be good for both of us if the novel is the best product it can possibly be. It also helps when I actually look at what needs to be changed and realize - as I always do - that the publisher is (sigh) totally correct. Somehow, despite the previous edits and revisions, there are still weaknesses to strengthen and problems to fix. 

In fact, each time I go back to improve or add a scene, and with each revision, I see my work becoming better: clearer, more engaging, more enjoyable. Not only is my novel improving, but I am becoming a better writer through this experience. 


2) My other book, Dragonfly, is being released by Peasantry Press in the fall

Dragonfly, pre-released during Steinbach's Summer in the City festival and available at small Manitoba retailer Driven to Sew, will have a wide release, in paperback and ebook, in fall 2015. It will be available from Amazon and also have extended distribution through other book retailers, primarily online although potentially in store. The details are still in progress. Stay tuned for an invite to the release party - it will be local (in Manitoba) and fun. And if you're into Young Adult fantasy or paranormal romance, here's the back-cover write up: 

Eighteen-year-old Joshua Miller is great at being invisible, despite the four, large, insect-like wings protruding from his back and his knack for high-rise robberies. He can remember almost nothing of his life before Nik found him and taught him his trade. Now he’s alone, and he likes it that way.
When Joshua unexpectedly meets Lexi on a job, his simple, uncomplicated existence shifts. Although he intends to remain uninvolved, something about her captivates him and he begins to let her in. As he navigates the strange nuances of a relationship with a girl as desperate to be different as he is to be ordinary, he becomes increasingly aware that he is not who he wants to be for her. Confronted by the past he’d forgotten and a family he didn’t know existed, Joshua must decide for himself where he belongs and who holds the key to his future.


3) Our family is expanding

Along with the addition of an adorable puppy, Rufus (our 16 week old miniature schnauzer puppy who we love more than we ever thought was possible), we are expecting a baby in early October.

According to my What to Expect App, I'm due in precisely six weeks. Which seems like nothing, until I break it down into days: 42 days seems much longer than six weeks. But six weeks or 42 days, the countdown has begun and we're all pretty excited around here. Totally not ready yet, but excited anyway.  

We feel like, in some ways, little Rufus has been helping us practice for baby's arrival.  He's completely dependent on us - loving nothing more than being in our arms or on our laps. I'm up at all hours of the night when he needs to go outside or when he's unbearably lonely, I'm constantly cleaning up after him when he messes, and we've rushed off to the vet at the drop of a hat when he seemed ill (coming away with a painful bill, to boot) - but I find that we don't even really mind it because we love him so much. I know he's a dog, but he's our dog, and he's a part of our family. I'm hoping he's house trained and is sleeping through the night by the time baby gets here though - a person can only lose so much sleep per night! 


So, readers, there is the news for now. I hope you have all been enjoying your summer, whether that means catching up with friends, chilling with the family, reading great literature, writing your next book, getting out on your bike, traveling the world, or soaking up the sun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment