Monday, October 14, 2013

New Beginnings

Some people, generally, have trouble with change.  I tend to like it. The change, I mean. It signifies fresh starts. Movement. Growth. In my mind, living is synonymous with change.

Not that all things need to change. I love teaching English. That can stay the same. And the school I teach at - loooove it. And I wouldn't want to change my family. They are, obviously, fabulous.  But even within those constants, there are changes, right? I mean, new students every year. Growth and staff changes at the school. And my family ages, has additions, grows in their own ways. Change within the status quo.

I'm always finding myself on the quest for changes within my personal life as well. Not the deep, introspective, "what can I do to improve myself today?" questions, although self-improvement is great. I do some of that. I'm working on cleaner eating. I'm wearing my retainer again. I'm striving to set devotional time aside daily. I'm creating goals to organize my desk space and keep up with laundry. I'm even doing regular coursework marking (Woot!). But that's not what I'm talking about. I'm also not talking about finding a different husband or set of friends (all are wonderful).

What I actually mean is - where will this adventure I call my life take me next? And right now, it seems to be leading me back to my first literary love: Fiction Writing.

I've been on creative hiatus for about ten years, where I've been happily focused on teaching, having my babies, and doing some professional nonfiction writing. Lately, though, I feel that familiar calling to world-making. Over the past three years, I've had the joyful experience of writing two full-length YA novels, and I'm almost done the (much less joyful) editing process for each. I  co-authored a YA novel with my writer-sister two summers ago, and we're close to completing our editing of that one, too. I'm currently in the midst of planning my next.

In honour of this return to creative writing, I'm excited to launch my new author page and blogspot.  I'm looking forward to see where this new journey will take me. Hope you'll join me!

No comments:

Post a Comment