Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Thankful

Yesterday was Thanksgiving here in Canada. For my family, this always means an afternoon at the folks', with turkey, stuffing, gravy, potatoes, peas, sweet potato soufflĂ©, apple salad, and pumpkin pie with whipped cream. It's an afternoon spent enjoying the company of people I love. It's also an amazing opportunity to be reminded of everything we have to be thankful for. Here we are, in this beautiful country, enjoying an abundance of human rights, access to free health care, and luxuries like reliable shelter, indoor plumbing, clean water, and an excess of food. But we're so accustomed to life here that it becomes easy to take it for granted. 

I was reminded, sitting around that table with my family, that I am, indeed, thankful.

I am thankful for this country.
I am thankful for my government and the freedom I enjoy.
I am thankful for my wealth - for indeed, most of us are wealthier than we realize, when we look beyond our immediate surroundings to the global community.
I am thankful for my family and my friends.
I am thankful for my faith, for a God who loves me and shows me more grace than I deserve.
I am thankful for my health.
I am thankful for my job, for my mind, for my talents.
I am thankful for the technology that connects us.
I am thankful for the beauty of the world that surrounds me.
I am thankful for every breath, knowing that life is fleeting and each day is an unexpected gift.
I am so thankful.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment